Twelve Months Prior to Retirement
- Attend one of APERS retirement seminars.
- If you have not investigated the possibility of purchasing prior service, contact APERS about this option.
- Consider how you will handle emergency expenses. Make an effort to eliminate any debt and pay off obligations for large purchases.
- Contact your medical insurance provider to verify your post-retirement eligibility and rates.
- Evaluate your life insurance needs and contact your provider for information regarding eligibility and rates.
- Consult a retirement counselor for an estimate of your potential monthly retirement annuity.
- Study the benefit option plans available from APERS. You may select Straight Life, Option A-60, Option A-120, Option B-50, or Option B-75.
- Consider how retirement will affect your taxes.
Six to Nine Months Prior to Retirement
- Request an "Application for Retirement Annuity" form from APERS. You can download the form from our Active Member Forms page or call or write APERS to request one by mail.
- Do a post-retirement budget to determine if you can maintain your standard of living.
One to Three Months Prior to Retirement
Return the completed "Application for Retirement Annuity" forms (i.e. the application, direct deposit authorization, etc.). Make sure that your employer has completed and submitted the "Verification of Wages" form that was included in the retirement application package.