What documents do I need to retire?
1) Application for Retirement Annuity
The application must be submitted to APERS at least 30 days but not more than 90 days prior to the effective date of the retirement annuity. The application may be mailed or hand-delivered, but it cannot be faxed. If APERS receives your application after a deadline, you do not have legal recourse for any missed annuity payments.
2) Employer Verification of Termination
All of your employment with APERS-participating employer(s) must end before you can begin receiving a retirement annuity. To be considered retired, you must end your employment and you may not return to work in any capacity for an APERS-participating employer for 180 days. The verification form must be completed by your employer representatives indicating the date that your employment will end and to verify your final earnings and service. If you are an elected official, you and the local official responsible for certifying that the public office has or will be vacated, must also executive an affidavit.
3) Proof of Age
You must provide proof of your age before you can begin receiving annuity payments. APERS can accept any ONE of the following documents as proof of age:
- Birth certificate issued at date of birth
- Birth certificate issued at any date before age 5
- Baptismal or other church records issued before age 5
- U.S. census report issued 1920 or before
- Social Security Administration document, other than an application for social security number, that states age or date of birth recognized by SSA.
-OR- Any combination of two of the following documents that agree:
- Marriage license which shows age or date of birth
- Insurance policy issued at least 10 years prior to current date
- Records from family bible
- Military discharge
- Child’s birth certificate
- Application for social security number
- Birth certificate issued at date when person was older than age 5 when certified by the appropriate agency.
You may need to submit other forms or documents in addition to the Application for Retirement Annuity, Employer Verification of Termination and proof of age. Use the following list to verify if you should submit any additional documents:
- Proof of age for your spouse (Required if you choose the B75 or B50 annuity option)
- Employer Verification of Credited Service form (Required for public safety members only)
- Application for PAW form (Required if you elect to participate in the PAW plan)
- Distribution Election form (Required if you are a DROP or PAW plan participant)
What is the retirement application and where do I get it?
Regular Retirement Application
Members of the system that are vested and eligible to receive benefits can download and print out the retirement application packet. Please read all the included information carefully, complete the packet, and mail it back to APERS in accordance with the instructions provided in the packet. Faxed applications are NOT accepted.
The retirement application packet is composed of two parts
- Instructions (Pages 1- 4); and
- Forms to be completed and submitted (Pages 5 - 8).
You can download the APERS Retirement Application Packet in PDF format from the Member Portal or by contacting APERS.
NOTE: If you are retiring as an elected official, the following affidavit must also be completed and returned with your application packet! Download the "Elected Official Affidavit of Compliance" from the Member Portal or by contacting APERS.
Disability Retirement Application
If before you reach retirement age you become totally and permanently disabled due to a personal injury or illness, you may be eligible for disability retirement if you meet certain requirements.
To apply for disability retirement, download the packet below, read all the included information carefully, complete and print the enclosed forms, and mail the packet to APERS in accordance with the instructions provided in the packet. Faxed applications are NOT accepted.
The disability retirement application packet is composed of two parts
- Instructions (Pages 1- 4); and
- Forms to be completed and submitted (Pages 5 - 11).
Download the Disability Retirement Application Packet from the Member Portal or by contacting APERS.