If you are paying off student loans and are employed by state or local government, you might be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). To meet the minimum eligibility requirements you must
- be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization (federal service includes U.S. military service);
- work full-time for that agency or organization;
- have direct loans (or consolidate other federal student loans into a direct loan);
- repay your loans under an income-driven repayment plan; and
- make 120 qualifying payments.
This opportunity is only available for a limited time and expires October 31, 2022. A full description of this federal government program is beyond the scope of this page, and APERS cannot explain or answer questions about it. For general information about your student loans, visit the Federal Student Aid website or click one of the direct links below for info on this program (links may take longer then usual to load).
Click here for a description of the PSLF program
Click here for the PSLF "Help Tool" and application form to determine if you qualify.